The use of GIS is changing very quickly as the way an end user interact is changing day by day. Though it may be driven by new tools and technologies, the new revolution to GIS application is being brought up by the end user. The coming up of 3 dimensional view of geospatial data, cloud computing, crowd sourcing, neo geography and the collaboration of GIS application with various other applications are few of the new requirements brought up by the users (Elwood, 2010).
The above technologies are discussed below:
- 3- Dimensional view of GIS data: Since geographical information system is the study of earth’s surface and real objects, it became essential to have a three-dimensional view of GIS data rather than having just a vertical view. However, it was not easy as the complexity in analyzing a three-dimensional data increased drastically. With the increase in the internet speed and high level of advances in computational technology, it became possible to deal with three dimensional views of GIS objects with the help of new sophisticated software. A three dimensional view to GIS object was important because of many reasons. The few of them are discussed below:
- Provide a high level of interaction which helps in better understanding.
- Help in proper understanding of environment and how some design can affect environment.
- Objects which are too small or too big are all scaled to same level for better visualization and understanding.
- Locations which were remote or difficult to access were made accessible with the help of three dimensional views of GIS objects.